Grace Church has been around for about 164 years. It has seen a lot of changes through those years. Its Steeple has changed three times thanks to being hit by lightning twice. It has had many Pastors and Members over those many years. Some of them will be featured within these pages,starting with the 100th birthday celebration.
In the Beginning of Grace Church This is how it looked.
History of Grace United Methodist Church
1846 — Grace organized out of Summer Street Mission Society.
1854 — Land at corner of Union and Clinton streets purchased for $1,100.
1855 — Union Street Methodist Episcopal Church completed at cost of $15,000.
1896 — Steeple got shorter after lightning strikes and finally a Dome replaced a steeple damaged by storm and high winds.
1939 — Church renamed Grace Methodist Church after merger of three Methodist groups.
1948 — Permastone facade placed on outside of wooden building.
1954 — 100th anniversary of church celebrated.
1967 — Bangor’s first Operation Head Start school meets in church basement.
1968 — Church renamed Grace United Methodist Church after merger of the Evangelical United Brethren and Methodist denominations.
1970 — Extensive renovations to sanctuary completed.
1989 — Church becomes handicapped-accessible with installation of elevator.
1996 — Grace designated first church in Maine in Shalom Zone program, which emphasized outreach to the surrounding neighborhood.
2004 — Church celebrates 150th anniversary, opens thrift shop.
2008 — capital improvements made to church building.
The church had helped to feed the hungry of Bangor with a free Saturday meal and by handing out about 4,000 pounds of food monthly to around 650 people.
From its very beginning, it’s been a church that has been committed to being downtown and in ministry to the community. When it closed its doors on June 30, 2019, the financial need, spiritual need, recovery kinds of ministry needs of the community still remain but the church has run out of funds and was not able to continue. It’s just a really challenged neighborhood, and the church has always been committed to being a part of the neighborhood so we are hoping other churches will step in. Grace had been running a busy thrift store and the food distribution program to the poor.
2019 Church closed down on June 30th due to a dwindling membership and financial issues with expensive building upkeep problems.
The New England Conference of the United Methodist Church, not the congregation, is the owner of the church building. That body will decide whether to sell the structure or put in to other use.
It will be up to individual members to decide where to continue worship. Church records and memberships are transferred to First UMC in Bangor on Essex Street. This is a nice church Sun Service at 10:30. There are several area churches nearby in Brewer, Hampden, Winterport and Dixmont.